Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Be the Burro

I have the utmost respect for teachers.

This concept seems to be out of place in this day and age.

In other countries, being a teacher is considered a calling.  Teaching is treated with the same level of respect as doctors and engineers.   Teaching children to read, write and do arithmetic is a big deal.

Kidlet's school ranks very poorly on the Great Schools website and I do not care.  Her teachers for Kindergarten as well as first grade are enthusiastic and inventive.  I am frustrated by the fact that none of my neighbors send their children to the local school because of the crappy test scores and the low ratings of Great Schools.  Truthfully, they do not want their children associating with poor people.   Because being poor is a communicable state.  You might CATCH poor.

I realize that a lot of the kids there do not have the resources kidlet has.  So I send snacks and notebooks and erasers.  I think that donating to six year olds learning is the most effective use of my couponing/bargainista skills.  And if sending a snack helps then I will do it.

This article made me realize that children thrive when they are given a chance.  

And kudos to all the teachers out there.  You make a difference.  You change lives.

No comments: